Ziebart in Interior Spaces, Removal and Welding Safety

Posted: June 19, 2011 By: 1970tr6

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Ziebart in Interior Spaces, Removal and Welding Safety

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

1970tr6

Participant

Hi Guys,

I’ve done a few Google searches as well as through the Eastwood forums and a couple Brit car forums, but I haven’t quite found an answer to my exact problem. I’ve got a 1970 Triumph TR6 that I’m restoring and at some point it had been professionally Ziebarted (still has the plugs in and around the door frames, trunk, etc.) and has either Ziebart or another undercoating all over the engine bay, underneath the car, etc. I’m going to be doing a frame-off and will be removing the stuff I can get at with a heat gun and putty knife and just taking my time about it.

But my question is really about the stuff in the interior of the frame members and body cavities, rockers, etc. I live in CA so the car only has some minor rust around the doors and the bottoms of the fenders, but I am uncertain how to handle the Ziebart on the interior cavities. I figure I’ll be cutting the metal out and will be able to kind of get to whatever Ziebart I may uncover, and I figure I’ll keep a sprayer full of water, fire extinguisher etc on hand. Heck, maybe even have another line from my Argon/CO2 bottle for my welder to snuff out something that flares up in a frame member?

Any wisdom, experience and tips on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Does this stuff burst into flames immediately? If I get rid of whatever I can see am I ok? etc etc etc.

Thanks again.

Dave.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed