Surface rust on and INSIDE of frame rails

Posted: October 2, 2006 By: AdamIsAdam

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Ask Eastwood Archives Surface rust on and INSIDE of frame rails

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

AdamIsAdam

Participant

I just bought a nice (a real 10 footer) 1968 LeMans Convertible. The floor pans had some rust that was treated and unercoated in the past. It’s not too bad. My big worry is the flakes of rust inside the frame rails. there are no rust holes or cracks that I can see, nor can I push a screwdriver through anywhere. the body looks good and I’m just looking to drive and enjoy the car.

I DON’T WANT ANYTHING TO GET WORSE in terms of the frame’s structural soundness.

I’m looking for the best course of action.

Should I just try to get out all the flakes of rust from inside the rails, then spray in Oxisolv Rust and then paint with Rust Encapsulator wherever I can reach?

For outside on the frame, it’s got a lot of undercoating. Some of it is cracked or coming off, but other areas are on good. What do I do with that?

Like I said, I’m hoping to just retain what I have without it getting worse until such time that I can either really strip the body down, replace floor pans and any body panels needed. Or, that I’ll sell the car and move on to something else.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed