Spots when polishing aluminum

Posted: December 20, 2012 By: Grant

Home Forums Buffing/Metal Finishing Spots when polishing aluminum

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Grant

I work at a machine shop and we are trying to use Eastwood’s 8″ buff kit to polish some parts for a customer. The parts come out of a vertical milling center with a nearly mirror like finish so they are very smooth to start out with. I start with the Tripoli wheel and the finish looks good, but when I am finishing with the soft wheel and white rouge I am getting black spots of polish left on the metal. It looks as if it is from having too much wax on the wheel. So I dress the wheel and it looks very clean, I lightly add some polish, and I get the spots all over again. This only happens with the rouge. I am cleaning the surface with acetone between compounds to make sure none of the old compound is still on the surface. They come off with acetone or even with a dry cloth if I rub very hard so I can tell they are just on the surface. I have tried using more or less polish, higher and lower speeds and I am getting this every time. It’s very frustrating. Does anyone have any clue what is causing this or any advice?

[ATTACH]4093[/ATTACH]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed