Rust remover- Fast Etch / Rust repair

Posted: June 20, 2014 By: Wahoo

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Rust remover- Fast Etch / Rust repair

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Wahoo

So I removed some shotty rivet rush repair patch panel jobbys and found some rust in hard to reach areas, would Eastwoods Fast Etch be a good way to remove rust and then see what metal I have left to work with?

Especially in my picture of the quarter and wheel well arch that seems to have rotted…….. 🙁

Front corner of Drivers Door
    DE21D8F4-E3E7-478B-90FB-8BF1C2EF2A7F.jpg

Rear corner of drivers Door, besides the rust looks like it has some type of dent that has a lot of what I believe to be filler in there. probably thicker than 1/4 inch….

DB0F2988-570D-4EA8-BA19-9273BAA54CB6.jpg

Front of passenger Door – Maybe I can just weld these holes shut? Has a small dent too though

2B454AB2-FFEB-40B6-88DB-0B24D38F39CF_1.jpg

Rear of passenger Door – rust

E4085E5A-9395-420A-AD0F-39DCA481E2F1.jpg

This is the worst part of the car, its in front of the right rear wheel well, the wheel well arch itself looks like it seperated from the quarter 🙁 also seemed like it was packed with cement?? It looked very porse and was a grey like color.

77786A81-E73D-4C91-8D58-6C09974DDA5A.jpg

So this is my first time doing anything like this, I did buy a Hobart 140 mig welder though, so I’m confident I can stitch weld panels in its place, I understand you don’t want to over heat the metal so you jump around laying tack welds until everything is stitched together.

Any recommendations on what tools I should buy? I don’t have any hammers or dollys.

Also What gauge sheet metal should I use for this?

I plan to strip this car all the way to metal, and I used my chemical stripper(aircraft stripper made by Klean Strip), its like mid 70’s outside in temp and I applied the stuff on these areas shown in the picture so I could strip them, but this stuff works like crap! I mean its a vertical surface so I can’t use plastic sheets on it.

So I ended up using a 3M paint stripper disc, its a gray fiber looking disc, using it in my Die grinder, and it doesn’t seem possible to use these discs to strip any medium size areas to metal would take weeks!!!!

I think I’m going to pick up some of eastwoods rust desolver so I can see what I really have left to deal with before I cut anything out.

I think thats it for my questions so far!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed