Runs in Clearcoating, Sanding, and re-clearcoating

Posted: October 12, 2013 By: 46fordphil

Home Forums Kevin Tetz’s Korner Runs in Clearcoating, Sanding, and re-clearcoating

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

46fordphil

Participant

I am in the process of completing the bed of my 1950 ford truck. In the process of putting on the clear coat, I developed quite a few runs that needed to be repaired. Even though most would have been hidden by the fenders, I wanted to try to re-do it. The runs were so widespread, I needed to use 320 grit to level the areas. I had tried starting with 1000 thinking I could ‘color sand’ them and just buff but nevertheless I used the coarser grit and now feel that that panel will need to be re-clear coated. I have not gone into the color base coat. It has been about 2 weeks since the initial painting. Can I just re-spray the clear coat say after going over the area with 400 grit or do I need to go back and do both basecoat and clear coat? To blend in the new with the older clear on the areas not sanded, do I need to sand or scuff it before spraying? Will there be sufficient bonding of the unsanded clear to avoid sanding/scuffing it?
    Additionally, I am getting ready to do the cab of the truck. My modus operandi on prior pieces has been to get the part sandblasted and then epoxy prime and move quickly into the hi-build primer. For the cab I was considering after the sand blasting to use Eastwood’s Metal All (? not sure of the spelling) as a way to protect from the flash rusting that is bound to occur initially. This product is mixed with water and sprayed on the bare metal and is supposed to prevent flash rusting. That would give me time to work on the welding and other things needed before proceeding to the epoxy primer, etc. Anyone out there have experience with this product and can recommend how they would proceed? Thanks for the help in advance.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed