Rookie – Motorcycle Painting – Primers

Posted: September 16, 2010 By: no_commercial_please

Home Forums Kevin Tetz’s Korner Rookie – Motorcycle Painting – Primers

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Dear Prof. Kevin Tetz,
    This is my very first attempt to paint something with spray and automotive paint. I am computer scientist by trade, so really new to this area! I have some questions, and thought also about preparing article for Eastwood about my entire experience at the end, so I am sorry if my posts will get lengthy at times. I WILL TYPE MY QUESTIONS WITH “**NUMBERS” AND CAPITAL LETTERS, SO IT WOULD BE EASIER TO ANSWER THEM.
    So here is the deal. I want to modify body of my motorcycle. It is Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom, I purchased some old tins on eBay for my bike (I did not want to risk my original ones) and plan to stretch my metal gas tank with fiberglass extension, and then paint it (and both fenders, which are both fiberglass). Here are the things I did so far, and some questions I have about my actions:
    1. I stripped the tank to bare metal using 60 and 80 grit, dry (boy, that was fun – I used old electric sender, and a lot of elbow grease). I glued the fiberglass extension at the back, and used Bondo to smooth out the join, and WET sanded it with 220 grit.
    2. I purchased from Eastwood the following items: 1) DeVilbiss Auto Paint and Priming System, Item #12506, 2) SAS Bandit Respirator Large, Item #11456 (I know I am cheap!), 3) Epoxy Primer and Catalyst Kit Gray Qt, Item #51126 ZP, and 4) Urethane primer: 4a) FM Urethane Primer Buff Quart, 50248 ZP, 4b) FM Urethane Clear 4:1 Activator 8 oz., 50249 ZP, which now, I believe, is also available as akit: 4c) FM Urethane Buff Primer and Actvtr Qt Kit, Item #EUPBQK ZP, AND HERE IS MY 1ST QUESTION.
    ** 1. WHAT’S UP WITH THE NAMES, GUYS? WHY THERE IS “Buff” in the name of these products (primers!), and why do you recommend “Urethane Clear Activator” for “Urethane Primer”. These may be really dumb questions, but got me/rookie really confused.
    At this point I also have a question about air-compressor.
    ** 2. I PURCHASED 1.5HP AIR COMPRESSOR WITH 15 GAL. TANK, 150 PSI MAX TANK PRESSURE, AIR DELIVERY: @ 40 PSI : 3.5 SCFM, AND @ 90 PSI: 2.6 SCFM. IS THIS ENOUGH FOR PAINTING TANK AND FENDERS? THE DeVilbiss Auto Paint and Priming System, Item #12506 HAS HLVP GUNS, WHICH I WAS TOLD TO NEED 6 SCFM @ 30 PSI, BUT I WAS HOPING MY COMPRESSOR WOULD BE OK, AS I AM NOT PLANNING TO MAKE LONG RUNS WITH THE PAINT, SINCE MY ITEMS ARE MUCH SMALLER THAN A SIDE OF A CAR.
    ** 3. DO I NEED TO USE SILICONE REMOVER? I SANDED THE PARTS WITH PAPER AND USED WAX, GREASE REMOVER ALREADY. SHOULDN’T THAT BE ENOUGH?

**4. IS THE SAS Bandit Respirator SAFE FOR EPOXY AND URETHANE PAINTING? OR SHOULD I PURCHASE THE PROFESSONAL RESPIRATOR YOU ALL USE (I JUST NEEDED FOR ONE PROJECT).

3. As I said the fiberglass extension is glued, and all is smoothed (with 220 wet grit) for primer. Now, I have some questions about priming and preparation between both primers:
    ** 5. SHOULD I PERFORM DRY SANDING OF ALL PARTS WITH 60-80 GRIT TO ADD MORE GRIP TO THE EPOXY PRIMER, OR IS THE WET SANDING WITH 220, THAT I ALREADY DID, GOOD ENOUGH?
    ** 6. FIBERGRASS EXTENSION TO THE TANK (AND NEW, OFF-MARKET FENDER I BOUGHT FOR FRONT) CAME WITH THIS HIGHLY POLISHED/SMOOTH LAYER ON THE TOP OF THE FIBERGLASS. SHOULD I WET/DRY SAND THEM BEFORE PRIMING? AND WITH WHAT GRIT?
    ** 7. EASTWOOD’S TECH SHEET FOR EPOXY PRIMER RECOMMENDS 10PSI, WHEN DeVilbiss GUNS NEED 30 PSI. THE 10 PSI IS ON THE GUN TIP, WHEN I PROVIDE 30PSI TO THE GUN’S INPUT. CORRECT? OR SHOULD I DECREASE PSI ON THE GUN’S INPUT FROM 30 TO 10 PSI?
    ** 8. NOW ABOUT SANDING BETWEEN PRIMERS. I PLAN TO WORK ON MY PRIMING IN STAGES. IS THIS ACCEPTABLE IF I SAND BETWEEN EACH OF THE STAGES (I.E. EPOXY PRIMER, URETHANE PRIMER, URETHANE PAINT AND URETHANE CLEAR AT THE END)? I HAVE SMALL KID AT HOME, SO THERE IS NO WAY I CAN JUST TAKE ENTIRE DAY OR TWO TO PUT ALL THE LAYERS AT ONE TIME… 
    ** 9. I WAN TO PUT EPOXY FIRST, LET IT DRY (Q: HOW MANY DAYS? WEBSITE SAYS WE CAN SAND AFTER 2 DAYS, WHEREAS TECH SHEET SAYS TO WAIT 7 DAYS), BEFORE SANDING. WHAT GRIT SHOULD I USE FOR SANDING AFTER EPOXY PRIMER, BEFORE PUTTING THE URETHANE PRIMER? SHOULD I WET OR DRY SAND? HOW MANY DAYS SHOULD I WAIT BEFORE SANDING AFTER THE URETHANE PRIMER (BTW, EASTWOOD DOES NOT PROVIDE TECH SHEET FOR THE URETHANE PRIMER, ONLY FOR THE EPXY ONE).
    **10. NOW ABOUT NEEDLE SIZE FOR MY PRIMERS. I READ 1.8MM IS RECOMMENDED, BUT ONE OF REVIEWS ON EASTWOOD’S WEBSITE SAYS IT IS TOO BIG. SHOULD I GO WITH A SMALLER SIZE?

This is all for now. I would deeply appreciate advice on these questions. I realize the are long, but I think posting them on your website will help a lot of rookies, as I am. Thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed