Removing minor windshield distortion

Posted: April 28, 2005 By: Sea Dog

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Ask Eastwood Archives Removing minor windshield distortion

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Sea Dog

Well, I had a light scratch on my Jeep’s windshield about 6″-8″ long about 1/3 up the windshield in front of the driver. It was horizontal. I think it must’ve come from a squeegee at a gas station somewhere.

Now, I’ve been an Eastwood customer for two decades now. Believe it or not, I still had my Eastwood glass polishing kit from 1988 lying around. The difference in that kit is that the polishing pad/mandrel is only about 1″ square. I varied the pattern I was using to buff and tried to feather as best I could, although I did have to concentrate somewhat on the scrath area. Well, now I have some minor distortion where the scratch was, localized horizontally in the scratch location only. It’s not bad; you don’t notice it at speed, but since I tend to be a bit anal-retentive about these things, I do notice it at rest or slow speeds. Even then, you have to be looking at a stop line or the bumper/license plate of a vehicle in front of you to notice it. Looking at the surface of the glass from an angle outside the vehicle, even in sunlight, you can’t see any distortion. A Jeep’s windshield is perfectly flat, no curvature at all.

So, my question is this. Do I have any chance of evening out the distortion using the wider pad/buffer/mandrel that Eastwood now uses? Is the compound still the Rhodite stuff? Should I get a new kit, just a new pad, or should I start saving up for a new windshield?

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. I should add that I do have a corded drill and an angle grinder in the tool box. Both options are available to me.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed