Refinishing a frame

Posted: June 15, 2005 By: Griff in Fairbanks

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Ask Eastwood Archives Refinishing a frame

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I am doing a complete ground-up restoration/customization of my 1970 Explorer motorhome, built on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis. (Project pictures located in the Pictures forum within Eastwood Shop Talk.)

I had originally planned to powdercoat the frame, using the Hotcoat gun I have on order. Now, I’m not so sure. After reviewing my plans, I realized I may not be able to have the frame 100% complete before finishing it. Also, there are some possible phase two modifications, such as a Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, that may require frame modification after the motorhome’s complete.

If I powdercoat the frame, it’ll be almost impossible to touch up the finish if I have to change anything on the frame, such as welding on mounting tabs.

Now, I’m thinking about using something like Eastwood’s OxiSolv, followed by your Rust Encapsulator, and finishing with your Correct Chassis Black.

Am I on the right track and will those three steps yield a durable finish?

The other problem I’m having is I live in Alaska and Eastwood apparently will not ship hazardous items (ending in Z, ZP, ZA, or ZB) outside the contiguous 48 states and Canada. I suppose I could have the items shipped to friends in the lower 48 or Canada and have them tranship the items via UPS ground.

However, that seems like a lot of work and added expense. Can you recommend commercially available products that are equivalent to the Eastwood products?

Thank you for your assistance.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed