Re-sealing Interior Using Rust Encapsulator

Posted: June 10, 2005 By: scirocco

Home Forums Rust Prevention & Repair Rust Prevention & Repair Archives Re-sealing Interior Using Rust Encapsulator

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

scirocco

Well, somehow the simple task of plugging holes in my firewall exploded into a multitude of projects, one of which being the re-sealing of my interior. The floorpan is already done (used rust ecapsulator on it in December), however the remaining portions (frame rails, interior of firewall, etc.) need some attention. In a moment of insanity (okay…ongoing moments of insanity), I stripped the majority of the passenger compartment to bare metal…in preparation for applying some form of rust prevention/conversion.

dsfootwell1.jpg

ps.jpg

I am intending to coat the area from around the windshield gasket down to the floorpan, the frame rails and center tunnel, and the rear seat area and strut towers. Also, the passenger side of my rain tray, hard brake lines which run along frame rails, and finally the various metal parts I took out. Here is an overview:

bottomwindshield.jpg

rearstruttower.jpg

My intent here is to use the rust encapsulator for converting current spots of rust and also as a general coating of rust prevention since in stripping the interior down to bare metal, a lot of the factory coating was removed as well.

I would like to have a high level of durability as well as an asthetically pleasing finish since I will not be putting in the new carpet for some time. Since seals are no longer available for my car (door, window, etc.), and the ones currently on there are pretty much useless, I know that I will have water coming into the passenger compartment. Therefore, I would like to do whatever I can to ensure that the top coat of paint will repell the water.

Here is the problem….I am a mechanicals/wiring/engine only sort of gal and I have very limited experience doing stuff related to bodywork/painting etc. I am very concerned about doing this right…preferably the first time….and so I want to make sure I haven’t forgotten anything before I take the plunge….

I have stripped off the paint, removed the loose rust, removed as much of the old seam sealer from the seams as I can get to, and gone over every surface to be painted with 220 grit sandpaper. I have RE in both spray can and brush-on, new seam sealer, and an epoxy enamel for the top coat. Before I do anything I will be going over everything with enamel reducer. Have I left anything out?

Also, how much time should I allow the second coat of RE to dry before applying the top coat?

I apologize for such a long-winded explaination for something so simple, but I figure more information is better than less in this case….Any input, advice, cautions, or words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed