Questions about Rat Rod Flat black and prep

Posted: April 26, 2012 By: santorum

Home Forums Painting/Custom Artwork Questions about Rat Rod Flat black and prep

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

santorum

Hello,

I am in the process of repainting my step fathers 1979 Suzuki GS1000E. The tank was custom made(couldn’t find a used one for sale). All body panels stripped off the bike and are in process of being sanded and primer-ed. I ran into a few questions as I never painted over steel/metal. I began by sanding the tank with 100 grit to remove all surface stains(light rust from sitting). Sprayed it with self Etch primer and I did indeed sand the self etch primer and reapply in some areas. I have a bit of bondo to do on some of the welds still, no big deal. I want to spray this bike with the Eastwood Rat Rod Flat Black number 51379. My first question, which I am thinking I know the answer to, do I need to apply a 2K primer over the self etch primer to get the Urethane based Rat Rod flat black to adhere?

Next, the recommended cap/needle for the paint gun for the Rat Rod black is 1.2-1.5mm
    I planned on using a touch up gun and discovered it has a 1.0mm cap/needle
    Can I thin the flat black with a reducer to compensate for this? Or should I look into investing in an alternate
    touch up gun with the appropriate cap/needle size to accommodate the paint?
    I would prefer to use a touch up gun vs my standard sized gun due to the over spray it can produce on such small parts. Worst case scenario I will just fine tune my existing gun to it’s best settings for the project.

Is the Rat Rod Flat Black good enough to not require a satin clear over the top?
    My concerns are the fact that gasoline may spill on the tank. If the paint isn’t designed for this type of abuse, I will need to clear it with a satin clear to withstand gasoline spills.

That’s all I have for now, thank you for any and all input for my project.

Regards,

Eli

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed