Proper Procedure

Posted: September 13, 2014 By: Crimson Tide

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Proper Procedure

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Crimson Tide

I have several projects to do on this car, so I’ll ask my questions in separate threads so things don’t get lost in the translation…so to speak.

I have to replace a small piece of metal on my floorboard. There is also some rust in a couple of other spots on the floorboards that do not require replacement. My questions are:

Can epoxy primer be used on the bare metal patch? Or should I use self etching? Also, I will be welding this in by overlapping edges (I’m just not skilled enough to butt weld the patch) Should I use some sort of weld through primer prior to welding instead of self etching or epoxy? My concern is the little area that is overlapped after the patch is welded in…but maybe that is just a consequence of overlapping instead of butt welding and I will have to live with it.

I want so treat the rusty areas on the floors as well. I was thinking Rust Converter, then Rust Encapsulator over the top of that. Will that be the way to go? And since this is the floor board, would that be sufficient, or should I shoot something over the top of the Encapsulator? If so, what product?

When should seam sealer be applied in this process? I have scrubbed the entire floorboards and cleaned out the old, dried out sealer. I need to retreat everything there…as well as where I weld the patch.

Finally on this subject, what should I do with the underside of the patch that will see the elements? What primer, and top coat? Undercoating only maybe?

Thanks for your help. It’s appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed