Primer question…Am I the only Week-End Restorer?

Posted: December 4, 2013 By: austringer84078

Home Forums Painting/Custom Artwork Primer question…Am I the only Week-End Restorer?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I’m restoring a 70 LeMans. I am enjoying doing as much of the work myself, as I can. I can only do a little at a time. I’m comfortable with painting smaller not obvious areas like door jams and the little bit of exposed interior or doing body primer that I can sand off and fix. But, I’m going to have a pro shoot the exterior body top coats.

So, my question is, and I’ve poured over these forums all day, what is the best process to strip a fender, weld in a patch or do a little body work and then prime it in such a way that it can sit…for maybe a year or so, before I finish everything and shoot the top coats?

I’m thinking…
    Weld (with my new Eastwood 135!)
    Strip
    Epoxy primer
    Body filler
    2 or 3 coats of urethane primer
    Leave it and work on another fender next week or next month or whenever
    Come back a year later when the rest of the car is done, final sand it and paint

Would that work? Would the urethane degrade? Would I need to light sand and do another primer coat or something? If I let the urethane sit that long will it be a problem?

I just don’t know the best way to do this project a little at a time since I can’t devote all day, every day to it until it’s ready to go like a pro body shop would do.

thanks for any help or direction.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed