Powdercoating Wilwood FSLI Brake Calipers masking and plugging questions

Posted: February 17, 2011 By: qbcsvt

Home Forums Powder Coating Powdercoating Wilwood FSLI Brake Calipers masking and plugging questions

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

qbcsvt

The parts are brand new and have been disassembled completely.

For any threaded parts can I use silicone plugs and pull them out AFTER everything cures? Or do I pull them after applying the powder?
    ^ my other option was to use bolts and just unbolt them out once everything cures….. What do you recommend?

As for the Piston bores, I figured I would MASK that with tape and use a fine razor to make a nice circle around the bore or use a retainer snap ring wrapped with aluminum foil then apply powder.
    When should I remove the tape or aluminum foil with retainer snap ring: After the powder cures and the part cools down? Right after I apply the powder, before I put into the oven? I also see another option, which states to mask, start curing just until the powder begins to flow and stop till the part is cool, remove mask> complete curing process by putting the part back into the oven for the remainder of the curing time. (further description as example: take part out and remove mask at 10minutes, and put in for another 10 minutes to complete the 20 minute cure).

I am new to powder coating and will not start with my calipers on the first attempt. I will test some random parts I have laying around. Again testing wont involve masking/plugging like the calipers do.

Thanks in advance

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed