Powder Coating thin aluminum sheet metal

Posted: January 6, 2014 By: missile07

Home Forums Powder Coating Powder Coating thin aluminum sheet metal

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

missile07

I am very new to powder coating & have been playing around with different types/sizes of steel and aluminum to powder coat. Yesterday I tried to powder coat some thin aluminum sheet metal with poor results. The sheet metal comes painted so I stripped the color off to raw metal with a grinder & flap disc. I then wiped off the surface with a cloth and proceeded to powder coat a few test strips. I put the first strip in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes & when it was finished the color was very dull. The second strip I stuck in the oven at 400 degrees for 8 minutes with the same results. The third strip was in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and same results. Thinking it was my metal surface I cleaned off a piece of new steel and coated it with the same color. Put it in the oven for 10 minutes at 400 degrees and the results were better yet still dull. The first trial I did when I received my system was with some flat black and it turned out perfect. Am I missing something with glossy colors as far as curing or metal prep? I have attached a photo of the finished strips (one chrome & one neon green)[ATTACH]4445[/ATTACH]

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a few personal projects I would love to do with this thin aluminum, so I hope I can get going in the right direction.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed