Post sand-blasting help!

Posted: August 15, 2011 By: ElliottG

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Post sand-blasting help!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

ElliottG

Hey guys

I have some rust spots on my ’99 VW Passat which I intend to sand blast tomorrow. The last time I did this I sanded down the areas after sand blasting and just sprayed self-etching primer on top of that. Then, I put on some glazing putty, did my body work, and applied some more self-etch primer, then paint and clear.

Is this a correct way to do this?

I’ve read that epoxy primer is the best “new” way to do this kind of work…but I read that it is very expensive! $100 for 1 gallon of the stuff! I don’t think I would need anywhere near that amount…but I’m guessing that is the minimum amount they sell it in?

My question is: what should I do? 😮

1) I read that I can’t use body filler (is glazing putty the same thing?) over self-etch primer…is this true? I

2) Should I be using a metal conditioner after sand blasting? I was looking at the solvent type ones. After you apply that, are you suppose to put water on it to neutralize the acid?

3) Also read that you’re not suppose to use a metal conditioner and a self-etch primer together as it will reduce the adhesion properties because they will attack each other; true?

4) I read this procedure on another forum and just wondering what you guys think of it. This would be if I had epoxy primer! Which I don’t; but I’m thinking about getting some after hearing what you guys say!:

EPOXY PRIMER (2k) STEPS
    1 WASH NEW BARE STEEL WITH DISHSOAP AND WATER
    2 WIPE DRY BARE STEEL WITH PREPSOL OR FINAL CLEAN
    3 SAND BARE STEEL WITH 240 OR 320 GRIT PAPER
    4 BLOW OFF AND WIPE DRY BARE STEEL WITH PREPSOL OR FINAL CLEAN
    5 APPLY WET COAT OF DUPONT 5717S METAL CONDITIONER AND WIPE DRY WITH CLOTH
    6 SPRAY TWO COATS OF 2 PART EPOXY PRIMER

I also read about a method using self-etch primer and then spraying epoxy primer on top of that…what’s the deal?

Thanks,
    Elliott

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed