Polishing a stainless gun

Posted: December 12, 2005 By: trade_sniper

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Ask Eastwood Archives Polishing a stainless gun

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

trade_sniper

I’m getting ready to purchase a brand new handgun that is all stainless. Most of it is a satin finish, some is a kind of rough, media blasted finish/texture for a contrasting effect. I want it all to look like a mirror.

I do have a large air compressor, several die grinders, a corded dremel tool with a flex shaft, an orbital face buffer, a random orbital sander, and would buy a buffer or other tools needed as long as they aren’t really expensive. I’ve got a very weak buffer now, it doesn’t have near enough hp. I believe it is an old 1/3 hp.

I’d like to know exactly what tools, abrasives, buffing wheels, cloths, etc. that I will need to do this job. I’ll buy any extra items needed, within reason, I can’t afford a ton on this project. But I may want to do a few others in the future. Please be very specific.

I need to know what tools, abrasives, etc. and in what order.

I will completely disassemble the pistol. There are some flat areas, but there are a bunch of very tiny areas and many curved sections.

Here’s a picture of what it will look like when I get it:
    PX9151LLarge.jpg

You will notice the ‘gray’ areas on the bottom edges, this is the media blasted type finish I mentioned above.

Here is what I want it to look like when I’m done:
    PB9114LLarge.jpg

That gun is nickel plated, but resembles what I want mine to look like when I’m finished.

Here are two pics of a gun done by another guy who polished his own. Its the same gun in both pics, just different grips. The problem is that I think it could have a better quality finish. He had never polished anything before and he did the whole thing by hand, no power tools, no buffer! So I’m seeking advice from the pros.
    000_1990.jpg
    dutygun.jpg

What about vibratory polishing? Do you have one large enough to do this? The gun is about 9″ long and 7-8 inches tall, less than 2″ wide. Would that provide a mirror-finish if left in long enough?

There is a big shop in a nearby city that has very large vibratory polishers. They will polish things, or lease the equipment.

If this would work, is there some way to mask/block off the inside areas so that they won’t get polished? I’m afraid any material removal at all will negatively effect the tolerances.

I have done some polishing on aluminum and stainless before. Not a lot, but some. Never anything to a mirror-like finish before though.

Please help me to accomplish this task. Thanks for your help.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed