Painting Outdoors

Posted: January 16, 2010 By: Lloyd

Home Forums Kevin Tetz’s Korner Painting Outdoors

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Lloyd

Hello Kevin. I stumbled on your “Trucks!” show a few weekends ago and loved it! It was the Second Chance Silverado project. As it happens, I have a ’93 GMC Sierra C1500 extended cab/8′ box pickup that I started working on this past summer. It was a work truck and sustained it’s share of abuse. Every panel needed some bodywork, the brake lines were rotted out, and there was a hole in the fuel line. My original intent was barter for the work on the plumbing, patch up the scapes and dents, paint it with Duplicolor cans, and sell it. The redeeming features of the truck are that it only has 83k miles on it, the exhaust system and tires are new, and the interior is in excellent condition, barring a few coffee stains on the carpeting. Welp, my plans just kind of expanded a tad. I’m sure this is how more that a few projects get started. I did the major body work, sanded the truck down, and gave it a coat of epoxy primer. That let me see where it needed more work, which I did and re-coated. I did a little more filling where I wasn’t satisfied. By then, winter was a couple of weeks away, and I ordered a truck cover from Empire. It turned out to be a Budge cover, and after a rainy weekend, I discovered that it leaks like a seive. i live in Chicago, where the winters are nasty, and the truck won’t fit in my garage. So I want to know what to expect when I resume work in the Spring.
    My plan was to prehaps shave the door handles and maybe the cargo light (I’ve already shaved the tailgate handle and the antenna), and lay on some Evercoat Feather Fill 4:1, block sand, and proceed with finishing. Should I be taking any additional steps to protect myself from paint failure?

Oh, I’m now planning on keeping the truck.

I have another question re: big wheels, but I’ll put that in another thread.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed