Newb with questions on polishing

Home Forums Buffing/Metal Finishing Buffing/Metal Finishing Archives Newb with questions on polishing

This topic contains 0 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Fat Cat 10 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

• Author

Fat Cat

Hi guys, I’m new to the whole polishing and buffing practice and am trying to find out some info, so please bear with me. I’m trying to polish several aluminum brackets and parts on my new engine and I didn’t want to pay through the roof to have them done. So, I started by buying the eastwood aluminum manifold kit being it seemed to come with all the basics. First question is this, now that I got the kit in the mail, I opened up the grinders grease and both the compounds and they appear dried up and rock solid. Is this normal or have these things been sitting on the shelf for too long? I thought they’d be a lot softer.

My second question is what is the best polishing procedure to get the metal smooth before using the buffing compound? Do the parts need to be hand sanded with progressively finer grit sandpapers, or can most of it be done on a buff wheel with progressively finer greaseless compound with the same results? Just how fine do you have to go? I see that the greaseless compound and most sandpapers in the catalog only go up to 320 grit. Is this fine enough to remove all the roughness and scratches? I’ve heard people say it’s necessary to sand all the way up to 2000 grit….

That is all I’ve got for now. I appreciate your assistance.

-Steve

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed