New project with light rust. What to do next?

Posted: November 12, 2012 By: obbn

Home Forums Ask Eastwood New project with light rust. What to do next?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

obbn

Hello everyone,

For years I have been having a great deal of fun restoring cars from my youth. In my case that means 1980’s era Japanese sports cars. With each new project I find it coming out better and better has my knowledge and skill had improved. Generally I have had the cars professionally repainted as paint work had never been my strong area. Recently I purchased a very nice Nissan 300zx in overall great shape. The body is incredibly straight with zero dents and no scratches save a few stone chips on the front valance. The paint is original white and in very good condition for the age. The clear coat is good and I am positive after doing the Meguires 3 step clean, polish and wax the paint will look good as new.

With that said there are a few minor paint problems that it has and I am really not sure how to proceed from here. On a few of the pillars there are sone very small surface rust spots. They are less than a 1/4″ long and about an 1/8th” wide. No bubbling and the rust does nor appear to go deep into the surface. I know that it had to be addressed or it won’t take long to get out of control and then require major repairs. I am at a point now where I don’t want to turn something like this over to a body shop, rather I want to learn to repair it myself. How can this be done? I have read some on the internet and the suggestions seem to be using something like a 3M sanding own to remove the surface rust, then treating the area with a rust agent, followed by an application of primer, top coat and clear coat applied using an air brush.

Sounds simple enough, but my concerns are two fold. First, is this the best way to go about it? Second, I am concerned about blending the repaired area with the existing paint. All the information I read said to feather the new paint onto the old, but I can’t seem to find a decent tutorial that shows step by step how to accomplish this.

With the correct information and guidance I am positive that I can do the repairs and do a great job at it. Over the years I have been amazed at what I have been able to do when it comes to vehicle repair and restoration. I might not be a professional, but my work has been quality work and the results better than I could have hoped for. Unfortunately in this case my skills are more in the mechanical repair department and not in paint restoration. Any advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

OBBN

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed