My steps in Flamage

Posted: June 9, 2006 By: cruizer

Home Forums Powder Coating Powder Coating Archives My steps in Flamage

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

cruizer

This is an exhaust from a motorcycle I finished up last night. I used this piece to practice on before I try the real think on my bike. Please feel free to crituque me, and tell me what I can do to improve my efforts and create a better final product.
    I did get a buildup on the edge of the black around where the tape was. I waited until the final layer of powder just started to flow, pulled it from the oven, and removed the tape. I didn’t see any buildup then, but I did after the final cure. Any ideas what could have caused this? My guess is too thick of a coat of powder. But I am afraid to make it too thin, once the graphic is removed, there is no going back.

This is my test piece, before I do the actual one on my bike. I bought this off of eBay. Mine will also be a different color, and I am going to try and do a couple things differently, like make the fade bigger, and tone down the gloss.

First, I apply the first color of the fade.
    pipe1.jpg

Second, I apply the second color of the fade.
    pipe2.jpg

Third, cook to perfection.
    pipe3.jpg

Since they don’t make high temperature vinyl that is easily removable after baking, I have make my own. I took high temperature tape (2″ width) and layered it onto wax paper.
    pipe4.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed