MIG 175 voltage control Problem?

Posted: July 11, 2021 By: Wingnutt

Home Forums Ask Eastwood MIG 175 voltage control Problem?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Wingnutt

Participant

I have a Eastwood MIG 175 that I purchased about 18 months are. Until recently, Haven’t had a single problem; however, recently I’ve needed to use the welder to do some sheet metal work, and the problem started. At higher AMP settings the welder works fantastically, BUT at lower settings it is blowing through the base metal even using the recommended settings.

I recently attempted to weld some 18 ga sheet metal (.052″). So I followed the recommended settings using .023″ wire, 75/25 Argon/CO2 gas and as per the chart on the welder AMP/Speed E-5 and promptly blew a hole through the metal the instant the arc ignited.

No matter how I set the AMP/Speed settings, the problem persisted. I even set the AMP setting down to “A” and played with the wire feed setting, but nothing made any difference. No matter the setting…BOOM an immediate hole in the metal the instant the arc ignited. At this point, I wasn’t trying to run a bead, just lay down a few tacks.

Due to the behavior of the welder at lower settings, I thought that the AMP control was having problems

One other thing that I noticed when trying different thicknesses of metal while trying to verify my theory about the AMP setting control, was that the welder sounded the same no matter what AMP setting that I used with the exception of the highest 2 AMP settings (I, J and J+).

Additionally the wire feed speed setting did not seem to have any effect on the welds at lower AMP settings. Is this something that I should pursue as a warranty claim, or is this normal behavior for this welder?

Thanks

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed