learned a costly lesson today :(

Posted: November 18, 2005 By: 2003z

Home Forums Powder Coating Powder Coating Archives learned a costly lesson today :(

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

2003z

Participant

I was doing 3 sets of corvette calipers, including my own. I used muriactic acid to remove the rust on my rotors, followed up by metal wash and high temp spray paint, no problem there.

Next, I cleaned the calipers. 2 of the 3 sets had iron brackets, and the calipers are aluminum. Both of the 2 sets with aluminum calipers weren’t that dirty. I cleaned the iron in the acid and metal wash also.

the third set, from an earlier vette, didn’t have brackets but was extremely dirty, so I figured I’d let the acid clean them a little, since the brackets came out so nicely. (they were stripped down for rebuilding). I put them in and it started bubbling up real bad, at which point I wasn’t sure what I should do, because I couldn’t approach the bucket, and it was in my driveway. I hosed it with water, which calmed it a little, then decided to dump it and flush the driveway with hose water. Anyway, the calipers are ruined as the acid ate them away! I know you clean swimming pools with acid, and swimming pools have aluminum ladders, but apparently they don’t mix. Fortunately the guy who I am doing them for doesn’t currently have a vette and I can replace them, but its a big bummer.

Now I’m looking for a used set and its probably gonna cost me 2-3 times the price of the job. Oh well live and learn.

bottom line, don’t use muriatic acid with aluminum!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed