How to treat rust inside frame

Posted: March 26, 2010 By: vaporlock

Home Forums Rust Prevention & Repair How to treat rust inside frame

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

vaporlock

I’m restoring a Triumph TR6 and have it down to the frame. The frame is covered with surface rust and I will have it blasted but I don’t know what to do about the rust on the interior. It’s not deeply rusted. There are access holes in every section that I can use to apply into. Here are my thoughts:

Option 1: Spray Rust Encapsulator inside, turning the frame at different angles to get the liquid around.
    Option 2: Spray Rust Converter inside first then Encapsulator. Would the Encapsulator be necessary if I’m not painting after?
    Option 3: Spray Anti-rust coating. This would be done after finishing the outside of the frame. Will this prevent further rusting by blocking moisture and oxygen or will the existing rust grow underneath it?

There are sections of the frame that are oil soaked and I’m not sure if I can get all of that out of the interior. Since the oil has been there for many years (if a British car isn’t leaking, it doesn’t have any oil) there’s probably little or no rust there anywiay.

My goal is to stop the rust from progressing. The rest of the car has been taken down to bare metal so I want to do this right.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed