How do you handle this?

Posted: January 3, 2010 By: o1racing03

Home Forums Powder Coating How do you handle this?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

o1racing03

Customer picks up his bicycle and takes it home to assemble. He had brought it to me completely disassemble except for one crank nut. I had to use the big adjustable to break it loose and remove it. They are right and left handed threads on each side , so they can only go in one way, theres no way to force them into the wrong hole. When the coating was done , I threaded the nut back in its correct side by hand a few threads so it wouldnt get lost. I am afraid the customer may not have known they are left handed threads and while attempting to assemble ,screwed up the threads before taking it to a bike shop and blaming the coater. This is one reason why I want all parts disassembled before dropping them with me.This morning I get this email:
    Marc,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but…

When I got home and started the reassembly I noticed you put the right handed threaded bottom bracket cup on the wrong side. I removed it and tried to place it on the correct side but I couldn’t get the threads started. I tried to thread the other side and I had the same problem. After a couple hours trying very carefully to start the threads I just couldn’t get them started so I had to take it to the bike shop. As I feared the drive side was cross threaded from the right handed threaded cup being put in the wrong side…and the cup was cross threaded so both the bottom bracket and the frame were pretty much ruined. I’m having him “get creative” to try to save the frame. He is going to have to install a new bottom bracket and if there isn’t enough threads to grab onto he is going to have to try and make a set screw work to hold it in place.

This is such bad news because the frame looks so bad ***.

I have no idea what this is going to cost me but Im sure it is going to be pricey.

I would hope you would do the right thing and reimburse me for whatever this ends up costing me.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed