First Paint Job at 16

Posted: February 28, 2014 By: Tennessee

Home Forums Projects First Paint Job at 16

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Tennessee

alright so this project won’t come near to anything on this forum. I am 16 and tried buying a 1979 z28 for my first car, my dad was all for it (he used to own one)-mom not so much. Long story short I am now driving a GMC envoy. sense I wasn’t shelling out my cash on my dream car I decided to buy a 1990 Yamaha SuperJet and mod it up a bit. Repainting is on that list. My bike is the only thing I have painted before (with just rattle cans), so I am by no means a professional or even experienced for that matter. Going to be needing a lot of help these next few weeks. First thing is first materials:

Paint Gun- I am wanting to use an HVLP gun for this project, I was looking at this set by TCP GLobal (seemed like a decent first set of paint guns) http://www.amazon.com/TCP-Global%C2%AE-Brand-HVLP-Spray/dp/B001N1E9Y8/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1393563839&sr=1-1&keywords=tcp+global+paint+guns

Paint: I will just be using Rust-Oleum paint, I was looking into Interlux and Kirker and some higher end paints but I was recommended to go cheap for my first paint job and use higher end paints in a year or two

I already have a cheap painters coverall, sand paper, a few rolls of masking tape, was going to purchase some masking film, need a respirator.

A friend also gave me a trashed hull of his to practice painting on and get a feel for how it goes onto the fiberglass.

Booth- I plan to build a booth outdoors with PVC pipe and drop cloths (already have a ton of pvc at my disposal) I will need to include some ventilation and was wondering on where the best locations would be for air vents. I plan to just use a regular flat panel filter. I assume the ceiling would be the best location with a jerry rigged fan sucking air out to act as a hood.

more details to come with pictures of prep progress so far, any help is appreciated. I would love to hear your opinions on my plan+details and if it sounds solid and do-able or like a recipe for disaster.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed