Excessive welding splatter

Posted: March 19, 2012 By: jw2

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Excessive welding splatter

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

jw2

I’m having trouble with an excessive amount of welding splatter for some reason. I using the eastwood 175 mig, .023 wire, with straight CO2 for shielding gas. I didn’t notice to much splatter when I was welding sheet metal with it, but when welding some 1/8″ plate, I’m get large amounts of splatter. These are big splatters that stick to the surrounding metal and most need to be sanded off with a highspeed sander to remove. Usually smaller splatters you might get can be knocked off with a small chisel and hammer.
    I’ve tried increasing and decreasing wire speed, increasing shielding gas flow and nothing seems to be making any difference. I even went as far as reversing the leads in the welder, thinking maybe somehow they were wired backward internally. Didn’t seem to make a difference. I don’t get this much splatter from the AC stick welder.
    I’m wondering if it could be the rectifier in the welder is bad? The welds themselve seem to have penetration and look fairly good, just a lot of splatter ruining the project.

John

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed