Eastwood Single Stage Urethane Paints

Posted: January 9, 2010 By: STL-Scott

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Eastwood Single Stage Urethane Paints

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

STL-Scott

I’m new to this forum, and posted this last night on “Kevin Tetz’s Corner”, and just noticed there is another section where I can “Ask Eastwood”.

I’m currently finishing the body work on my 65 Cobra roadster replica and have been getting some of my products from Eastwood. I’ve been very curious about the new single stage paints, and wondered from a first timers perspective, is this something a do it yourselfer can tackle? I’ve done lots of little parts painting with rattle can, but never a full car. I even repainted a motorcycle a few years ago which turned out pretty good considering the rattle can paint was uncatalyzed.

I just got a gallon of Evercoat Slick Sand (same polyester base and my gel coat) and a cheaper HVLP gun to do the high build primer surfacer when spring comes around, then do the block sanding. Hoping it goes well and I will take it from there. I would like to get a better gun like the Concours model to do the paint.

Can you coat right over Slick Sand with the Eastwood Paints, or do you need to seal it with a 2K Epoxy Primer? What about using the clears over this paint, is it really necessary to get that deep finish look, or is the single stage paint a pretty good finish that can be wet-sanded and buffed?

Also, if you were to do a traditional Cobra paint job with the lemans stripes, how long do you need to wait for one color to dry before you tape off the stripes and paint the main color? I guess if you didn’t clear coat over the stripes there would be a distinctive hard edge at the tape line?

Here is a picture of my “project” taken earlier this fall:

PICT0003-11.jpg

Thanks in Advance.

Scott

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed