Door Prep

Posted: March 12, 2013 By: 1980indyta

Home Forums Auto Body Door Prep

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

1980indyta

Participant

The passenger side door on my 1980 Trans am is rusting through at the bottom, so i found another good door and i stripped it today with Kleen strip it worked ok, i finished what it left behind with the DA and some 80 grit. I got the door down to bare metal and it had filler in about 3 places no rust holes but dings with tiny rust pits forming around them, i shot some rattle can gray primer on the bare metal just to keep it protected until i figure out which primer i need.

I am including a few links to the pictures below, can someone explain the steps of primer,filler, and paint ?? I am thinking i need to take it down to bare metal again and shooting epoxy primer first, then filling the dings with filler smoothing that out , then 2-3 coats of 2K urethane primer blocking in between each ?? I am still debating on single stage acrylic urethane Cameo white or a two stage cameo white, is there anything i should watch out for as far as compatibility of the primer and paint ?? This is not a show car but i want it to have a nice paint job and last a long time.

rust starting around mirror holes

IMG_0163.jpg

Rust pits

IMG_0161.jpg

rust pits

IMG_0172.jpg

Cheap primer

IMG_0174.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed