Doing research: need some input

Posted: January 18, 2007 By: thesound

Home Forums Ask Eastwood Ask Eastwood Archives Doing research: need some input

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

thesound

Does Eastwood sell any type’ve chemical that has properties similar to water, yet doesn’t react with ferrous metals? (Rusting or staining?)

I’d like to attempt to successfully polish iron using India Ink. I used it on the first cast iron engine block I did. All I can say is that even though the metal had turned gray again from the water that I used to dilute the ink, the surface had gotten so smooth that it had taken on that same “mile deep” look that you see on those rare show cars that’ve had 10+ coats of paint. It was somewhat unnatural but very cool to look at. What I’m not 100% sure about is whether the ink itself was contributing to the metal graying out, but I’d like to experiment with some other means of dilution to find out for sure. I’m currently in the process of polishing my second cast iron block, and I’d like to see if I can push the optical clarity envelope on this one further than the first.

If this turns out to be a bust I may end up biting the bullet and investing in some diamond compounds. But I know that India Ink is the best stuff to start out with because it’s what NASA used to develop aluminum mirrors for space stations:

http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/Feb01/GSC14147.html

Any ideas?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed