79 El Camino Project

Posted: December 18, 2006 By: UnclesCamino

Home Forums Projects Projects Archives 79 El Camino Project

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

UnclesCamino

I am going to start body work on my 79 El Camino this spring. I would like to do it over the winter but the garage I keep it in is unheated. Anyway the garage I will be using over the spring/summer I will only be able to use on weekends. S my plan is to strip/sand and epoxy primer(the eastwood brand) each body panel one at a time. Once I have all the panels ready and every thing inplace to finish I am going to take a week off work and try to get the whole paint job done in that time frame. I want to pull the doors and fenders and jam it out nice. Re assemble and shoot the whole car. I am thinking of using HOK red metalic and the Eastwood clear. I have most of the stainless trim off and will be removing the rest of it before I start and it doesn’t need to go back on til I am done. I do need to keep the camino driveable since it also doubles as my quad hauler.

1. Does any of this seem to be a problem? Are these paints durable and high quality?

2. I want to spray the bed with Gator Guard bed liner should I do this before or after I paint the whole vehicle.

3. I am planning on installing a Goodmark steel cowl induction hood. Should I install it before I tear it down to jam it or should I just paint it and install it when I put the car back together?

4. There are no rust holes on the body at all. Only in 2 places is there any surface rust. There I plan on sandblasting the spots, treating with rust desolver then epoxy primer over it. Should I body filler under the primer or over?

I know this was long winded I just wanted to make sure I have a good plan of attack before I commit to it and start the work.

everyone loves pics so here they are…
    Camino1.jpg

Camino2.jpg

Camino3.jpg

Thank you in advance
    Rob

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed