69 Vette prep problems

Posted: August 11, 2005 By: ja1724

Home Forums Painting/Custom Artwork Painting/Custom Artwork Archives 69 Vette prep problems

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

ja1724

😮 The gelcoat on my 69 vette was very thin or nonexistent in many areas. This is how the previous owner prepped it: (2) coats of PPG DAS3025 (High Velocity sealer), (3) coats of PPG DP74LF (red oxide primer), followed by a coat of PPG NCS2004 (Deltron Sealer). This seems rather suspicious to me – it’s really just alot of sealer on the glass. Normally I would have it gelcoated 1st (preferred) or put a nice high-build polyester primer on the glass. Not sure if I should trust what’s on there. PPG’s website says all the above listed products are okay for use on bare fiberglass but I’m skeptical. Anybody have any experiences with PPG products on raw glass, I heard epoxy primer on raw glass is very bad. What steps do I take now? Strip it all off, and let the car bake in the sun or spray booth for awhile to evap all the chemicals? Then I’m thinking about using a high quality marine gelcoat for a couple of coats with long bake times in between. Sorry to be long-winded but I wanted to get all the details out. Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed