1932 Auburn Boat Tail Roadster body, from scratch LONG!

Posted: January 21, 2010 By: Ritchj

Home Forums Pictures 1932 Auburn Boat Tail Roadster body, from scratch LONG!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Ritchj

I took a metalshaping class so I can better use my Eastwood tools at home and create a shopping list for more.

One of the other students wanted to build a 1932 Auburn Boat Tail Speedster from a plywood buck he had purchased along with a rolling chassis.

We started with flat steel sheets and used an english wheel, shrinkers and stretchers, and a powered bead roller, and completed this work in five days. There was a little hammer and dolly work, but not enough to warrant putting in ear plugs!

Pretty good for three students (two computer guys and a retired fireperson) and the instructor from 8-5 for five days. The photos aren’t great because I was working too, but you should get the idea.

We started with the cowl and doors on the 1st day, and worked our way backwards to the 8′ long rear quarter panels and that all important iconic non-trunklid, trunklid.

Here’s what we started with:
    4267452055_7a82dca6ab.jpg

4268198324_488c9c3b56.jpg

After getting a shape in the metal by using the english wheel we used the bead roller to start the detail work on the doors. One of the other ways this trim has been done over time is with lead. Pounds and pounds of lead – not suggesting there is a right or wrong way, but still, this seems easier

4268202202_60a4e3baff.jpg

4267461651_cddac795ce.jpg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Top Selling Products

Comments are closed